[OSM-talk] Macromapping problems

Oleksiy Muzalyev oleksiy.muzalyev at bluewin.ch
Tue Aug 22 17:59:42 UTC 2017

On 22.08.17 18:43, Daniel Koć wrote:
> W dniu 22.08.2017 o 08:38, Oleksiy Muzalyev pisze:
>> Irkutsk Oblast has got an area larger than the area of say Germany,
>> California, or France. The nature, woods, rivers, lakes, etc. there
>> is amazing. It is one of the most beautiful regions of the planet.
>>
>> Actually the whole territory at and around this node is coniferous
>> forest which is not mapped yet, and that is why also not visible on
>> the macro-map.
>
> This is exactly what bothers me with macro scale - there are really
> big areas on the planet which are not mapped yet and we have just
> plain land color there as if there was nothing. Irkutsk is just one of
> them.
>
> Continent tagging as a node is just a workaround, because we don't
> know how to do it better. But with forest it should be easy already
> (we know how to do it properly, just nobody did it yet). I'm also yet
> to see big Eurasian Steppe belt
> (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eurasian_Steppe) or any other steppe
> around the world
> (https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Steppe_world.png) and we have
> "grassland" tag for this probably.
>
> If something like this can be done with current tools, but it's not,
> means to me that we don't care for macro scale at the moment. That's
> why I try to bring the subject to the table.

In fact I am working on a project in this field. I am mapping landuse of
the South Ukraine http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=10/46.9634/31.5143

I would like to see how much landuse one mapper can cover. Now when
there is the DigitalGlobe satellite imagery with good resolution and
coverage, quality displays, it becomes realistic to map all the landuse.
I map South Ukraine landuse manually in JOSM, no imports.

In the past in Siberia there was little satellite coverage, nowadays I
see that it changed too. I do not know why they do not map forests
there. Probably it's an eternal problem - too many chiefs, too few Indians.

Best regards,

Oleksiy