[OSM-talk] Macromapping problems

Daniel Koć daniel at xn--ko-wla.pl
Tue Aug 22 16:43:04 UTC 2017

W dniu 22.08.2017 o 08:38, Oleksiy Muzalyev pisze:
> Irkutsk Oblast has got an area larger than the area of say Germany,
> California, or France. The nature, woods, rivers, lakes, etc. there is
> amazing. It is one of the most beautiful regions of the planet.
>
> Actually the whole territory at and around this node is coniferous
> forest which is not mapped yet, and that is why also not visible on
> the macro-map.

This is exactly what bothers me with macro scale - there are really big
areas on the planet which are not mapped yet and we have just plain land
color there as if there was nothing. Irkutsk is just one of them.

Continent tagging as a node is just a workaround, because we don't know
how to do it better. But with forest it should be easy already (we know
how to do it properly, just nobody did it yet). I'm also yet to see big
Eurasian Steppe belt (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eurasian_Steppe) or
any other steppe around the world
(https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Steppe_world.png) and we have
"grassland" tag for this probably.

If something like this can be done with current tools, but it's not,
means to me that we don't care for macro scale at the moment. That's why
I try to bring the subject to the table.

--
"Like a halo in reverse" [M. Gore]