[OSM-talk] OSM and science

Christoph Hormann osm at imagico.de
Thu Aug 24 18:44:24 UTC 2017

On Thursday 24 August 2017, Frederik Ramm wrote:

> It is certainly good for OSM to offer a helping hand to scientists
> who are seeking cooperation. I would also like us to develop a review
> and fact check mechanism for scientific publications on OSM so that
> those who don't bother to get their facts right are held accountable
> for the bad science they inevitably produce.

One thought in that regard: It would in a way be nice if we could get
members of the OSM community into the peer review process of scientific
publications related to OSM.  This would allow competent review and
fact checking of publications beforehand. The problem with that is
twofold:

* scientific peer review is essentially a closed club you don't normally
get into if you do not professionally work in the field yourself.
* doing peer review is laborious, thankless work and universally unpaid.

--
Christoph Hormann
http://www.imagico.de/