[OSM-talk] Redacting 75, 000 street names contributed by user chdr

Simon Poole simon at poole.ch
Mon Aug 28 10:38:33 UTC 2017

Am 28.08.2017 um 12:16 schrieb James:
> As Stewart has pointed out there are some changes that are valid(name
> expansion). I think Mr.Ramm needs to revise his selection algorithm
> before mass deletion
I'm not quite sure why we are again discussing the center of the known
universe again, but I do want to point out that in for the majority of
the US the names will revert back to their original TIGER values. For
example for the street Clifford pointed to, from Seeton Road to East
Seeton Road, which is no worse than before somebody decided to start
cheating and not a major disaster.

Simon

PS: naturally simply assuming that all name expansions are legit is a
bit iffy, consider Circle vs. Circuit and other expansions that you
often can't decide without external sources, I don't know if there are
any such cases in the affected data, but it seems to be silly to start
wasting time on something that is essentially a non-problem (revert the
name to the original and re-expand it using current TIGER if possible).