[OSM-talk] Redacting 75, 000 street names contributed by user chdr

Simon Poole simon at poole.ch
Mon Aug 28 14:11:37 UTC 2017

Am 28.08.2017 um 14:43 schrieb Pierre Béland:
> Simon Poole wrote
>
>         PS: naturally simply assuming that all name expansions are
>         legit is a bit iffy, consider Circle vs. Circuit  and other
>         expansions that you often can't decide without external
>         sources, I don't know if there are  any such cases in the
>         affected data, but it seems to be silly to start wasting time
>         on something that is  essentially a non-problem (revert the
>         name to the original and re-expand it using current TIGER if
>         possible).
>
> To respect contributors participation, I think that it is important to
> avoid deleting valid contributions.
Naturally. In my experience the DWG goes to great lengths to avoid
unnecessary damage, however in cases like we have at hand that requires
cooperation from the contributor (identifying legit vs non non-legit
contributions), which hasn't been forthcoming.

> Before redaction, what I propose to do for Quebec / Canada :
>
> I will go through thee chdr list provided by Frederik, and will verify
> the history for the name and add either
> source:verify tag=chdr name addition without source
> confirmationsource:verify tag=chdr name typo correction
>
> After redaction, it will be easy to select the redacted ways and add
> the name from legit source.
Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you want to do, but it would seem as if
that just amounts to doing the work twice.

Simon