[OSM-talk] Wiki Proposals: An OSM Echo Chamber?

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Mon Dec 4 13:40:16 UTC 2017

> There is a specific OSM list for tagging .. where proposals are
> discussed, etc. This is in addition to any wiki discussion!

+1, but it is really "in addition" (mostly, people do not post their
comments and concerns in both places).  The tagging mailing list is
mandatory for the proposal process (announcing RFC and voting start)

> But OSM does allow the creation of new tags by anyone without going
> through the proposal process, so there are things like
> man_made=cairn and landmark=cairn which appear to be the same thing to me.

It could be interpreted that the latter is about a cairn which is a
landmark while the former is about any cairn (but there is not
documentation enforcing this view). Actually, there used to be
documentation referring to the "landmark" key, but it was removed:
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=Key:landmark&diff=next&oldid=887875
(This documentation is from OpenSeaMap (or one of the other sea
mapping projects, I'm not sure) and was referring only to landmarks
visible from the sea, so the key was disputed with this definition for
being too generic in its key name in the past)

Cheers,
Martin