[OSM-talk] Wiki Proposals: An OSM Echo Chamber?

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Mon Dec 4 11:36:50 UTC 2017

There is a specific OSM list for tagging .. where proposals are
discussed, etc. This is in addition to any wiki discussion!

The proposal process should get contributions from those interested in
tag improvements and additions.

But OSM does allow the creation of new tags by anyone without going
through the proposal process, so there are things like
man_made=cairn and landmark=cairn which appear to be the same thing to me.
So no matter how the tagging proposal process is refined there will
still be problems created out side the proposal process.

Personally .. I think the proposal should first address the issue of
'is it useful' (or, as some say, do 'we' want it)?
Once that is voted on then how is it to be categorised, what is it to be
called and so on - each set to be a vote possibly with multiple choices.
This reduces the work load of the proposer as they can see it it will
pass the first hurdle and then each successive stage gets a majority view.
But this should be discussed on the tagging specific list.