[OSM-talk] Fixing broken multipolygons

Sarah Hoffmann lonvia at denofr.de
Wed Feb 15 22:51:51 UTC 2017

Hi,

let me add a bit of motivation to this. For osm2pgsql, the software
that process the OSM data for rendering the map on osm.org, we are
currently discussing about changing the algorithm that assembles the
polygons[1]. The new algorithms will be a lot faster but that comes
at the price that it is less tolerant with invalid geometries. A lot
of bad geometries that are currently still drawn some way or another
will be simply dropped. I'm convinced that in the long run this
stricter handling will be good not only for data consumers but also
for mappers, who will see immediately when they made a mistake.
However, in the short run a switch from the old algorithm to the
new one will leave a few bald patches on the map.

There is a comparison map where you can see the changes:

https://osmium.osm2pgsql.paulnorman.ca

There are some notable holes, for example in the woods of
Scandinavia. It would be great if they are gone by the time we
switch the software.

Sarah

[1] https://github.com/openstreetmap/osm2pgsql/pull/684