[OSM-talk] Wikipedia/Wikidata admins cleanup

Oleksiy Muzalyev oleksiy.muzalyev at bluewin.ch
Wed Jan 4 10:21:42 UTC 2017

Certainly a tool to check and correct obviously broken or duplicate
wikipedia=*, wikimedia_commons=*, wikidata=* links from the OSM map
would be very useful.

However, I've met inconsistencies which could be noticed only by a
knowledgeable human on the ground. For example, this coordinates
correction
<https://fr.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Chapelle_Notre-Dame-des-Voirons_de_Bo%C3%ABge&diff=121789421&oldid=121556970>
for the chapel Chapelle Notre-Dame-des-Voirons de Boëge
<https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chapelle_Notre-Dame-des-Voirons_de_Bo%C3%ABge>
. Before this correction it had wrong coordinates placing it erroneously
on absolutely another mountain. I could correct it reliably only after
actually visiting this chapel for making some photos for its article.

The comprehensive solution would be to have a dedicated Wikipedia layer
on the OpenStreetMap. Now we have Standard, Cycle, Transport, and
Humanitarian layers. Why not Wikipedia layer similar to this
<http://ausleuchtung.ch/geo_wiki/?lat=46.18824490036672&lng=6.177406311035156&zm=14&lang=en&ds=wiki&rd=10>
, so that a user can select Wikipedia language and see the geo-markers
corresponding to Wikipedia articles on the map. Or see clickable
geo-markers corresponding to wikipedia=*, wikimedia_commons=*,
wikidata=* tags.

This tool is using MediaWIki API and Overpass API, but for the OSM
Wikipedia layer the data could be pre-calculated and synchronized
periodically in order not to overload the APIs.

In fact, I am using the OSM map mostly with Wikipedia markers. For
example, I was recently on a short holiday trip to Stockholm and the
first thing I do I look what Wikipedia articles exist for the city
<http://ausleuchtung.ch/geo_wiki/?lat=59.324472209890146&lng=18.0710506439209&zm=16&lang=en&ds=wiki&rd=10>
to select places to visit and to read about. So in my opinion, such a
Wikipedia layer would be kind of synergy, - the creation of a whole that
is greater than the simple sum of its parts.

Best regards,
Oleksiy