[OSM-talk] Wikipedia/Wikidata admins cleanup

Christoph Hormann chris_hormann at gmx.de
Wed Jan 4 18:15:00 UTC 2017

On Wednesday 04 January 2017, AJ Ashton wrote:
> > "The ID of the Wikidata item about the feature"
> >
> > suggests a one-to-one relationship and having the same wikidata ID
> > on more than one feature would always be an error but taginfo tells
> > us that there are more than 22000 wikidata values that are used
> > more than once.
>
> The idea of "One feature, one OSM element" [...]

I don't think anyone mentioned that concept.  It would not have much
relevance here since it does not say "One wikidata item, one OSM
element".

But the current documentation of the wikidata key is based on the
premise that there is a one-to-one relationship.  If that is not the
case the definition needs to be changed.

The wikipedia tag for example does not make this assumption, it is meant
for any wikipedia article about the feature and a wikipedia article can
of course cover many different OSM features - just like the same OSM
feature can be subject of multiple wikipedia articles.  It is also
language specific by the way, if a certain French wikipedia article
covers a certain feature this does not guarantee that the corresponding
English language article also covers it.

Needless to say of course that it will likely be impossible to change
the wikidata key definition in a way that makes all or even most of the
22000+ values with multiple uses valid.  Because most of these are
simply cases where the tag was added without actually looking at the
data and the real world situation.  Rory already explained this for one
case but you can widely look around there and find many more.

--
Christoph Hormann
http://www.imagico.de/