[OSM-talk] Has anyone cracked the code yet?

ajt1047 at gmail.com ajt1047 at gmail.com
Sun Jul 9 09:28:37 UTC 2017

Over the last few months there have been lots of single-character note
comments - initially in China and Russia, but recently more widespread
(see for example http://www.openstreetmap.org/note/369774 ).  The
single-character comments seem to include cyrillic characters, which may
suggest that they're related to the Russian-language "bridge detector"
that adds notes such as http://www.openstreetmap.org/note/1056574 , but
it's difficult to see why someone's adding these note comments.

Related, there's an issue raised over at github about the wider issue of
allowing anonymous note comments
https://github.com/openstreetmap/openstreetmap-website/issues/1543 (not
specifically just these).

Does anyone have any thoughts as to what benefit there might be to
someone adding these?  About the only thing that I can come up with is
that it's an OSM API test - people clone a project and run it, and the
result is these notes (a bit like the OsmApi "My First Test" nodes that
keep appearing near "null island").

Best Regards,

Andy