[OSM-talk] Street Complete

Mark Wagner mark+osm at carnildo.com
Fri Jun 2 18:50:59 UTC 2017

On Fri, 2 Jun 2017 16:21:23 +0100
"Ed Loach" <edloach at gmail.com> wrote:

> Chris wrote:
>
> > > After Ihad entered the choice as an experiment I was expecting a
> > > note to appear
>
> Tobias wrote:
>
> > Really? That behavior would be horrible!
>
> Did these two notes get created by the application? I installed
> StreetComplete to try and reproduce the behaviour before realising
> I'd manage to add surface tags to a few local roads.
>
> https://www.openstreetmap.org/note/1016204
> and
> https://www.openstreetmap.org/note/1016625

The first of those is a situation that StreetComplete can't resolve:
deleting an object that is no longer there requires finer-grained
editing tools than a simple "question-and-answer" format.  The second
could be handled in theory, but a business that has changed its name
may have also changed what sort of business it is, so putting up a note
is safer than simply editing the name.

In contrast, "this street has four lanes", "this building is two
stories tall", or "this business is open 24/7" are things that
StreetComplete can resolve by editing.

--
Mark