[OSM-talk] Street Complete

Sebastiaan Couwenberg sebastic at xs4all.nl
Sat Jun 3 05:48:13 UTC 2017

On 06/03/2017 12:03 AM, Richard Fairhurst wrote:
> Bas Couwenberg wrote:
>> On 06/02/2017 03:43 PM, Chris Hill wrote:
>>> I also object to people who provide software for OSM, used by OSM
>>> community members but who must use Github to raise a problem. Let
>>> the authors add the issue to github it it suits them.
>>
>> You apparently have no clue how software development works. I
>> suggest you stick to paper and pen based systems, if you object to using
>> issue trackers for software projects.
>
> No. OSM is not a software project, it's a community project.
>
> If you promote an editor that affects OSM data, you need to be responsive to
> the OSM community. That means monitoring the communication channels favoured
> by the OSM community and being prepared to respond to them. You cannot just
> decide upon your preferred tracker and refuse to listen to concerns
> elsewhere.

Ranting on the Internet does not make software better, providing
constructive feedback via the appropriate channel (i.e. project issue
tracker) does.

> Chris has a better idea of how OSM editing works than you appear to, and I
> can say that with some certainty having maintained the default osm.org
> editor from 2007 to 2013.

Ah yes, your lovely deprecated editor which still lets users create
old-style multipolygons on a daily basis. How I love your work.

See the irony in the above?