[OSM-talk] Street Complete

Andy Townsend ajt1047 at gmail.com
Sat Jun 3 08:51:27 UTC 2017

On 03/06/2017 06:48, Sebastiaan Couwenberg wrote:
> Ranting on the Internet does not make software better, providing
> constructive feedback via the appropriate channel (i.e. project issue
> tracker) does.

Indeed, but sometimes it's appropriate to give a "community heads-up".
I'd certainly not seen the notes issue raised elsewhere, so it was
useful for me to see this thread.

Also discussing with the wider community is sometimes the only way to
get a change to happen.  StreetComplete originally had "1 change per
changeset", and the timeline of that issue is interesting:

21st March:  Issue
https://github.com/westnordost/StreetComplete/issues/21 created.
Maintainer initially asks why it is a problem.

30th March: Forum thread
https://forum.openstreetmap.org/viewtopic.php?id=57855 created

7th April: Maintainer announces fix to problem (initially in forum
rather than on Github).

So in this case it does seem to be the German forum thread that resulted
in the fix - and the thread title ("StreetComplete - die nächste
suboptimale App") could even be described as "ranting", too.

> Ah yes, your lovely deprecated editor which still lets users create
> old-style multipolygons on a daily basis. How I love your work.
>
> See the irony in the above?

Well if you're going to be offensive, at least try and be accurate :)

Best Regards,

Andy