[OSM-talk] The real face of MAPS.ME edits and notes - a short analysis

Tomas Straupis tomasstraupis at gmail.com
Mon Jun 12 08:39:16 UTC 2017

> Much has been said about MAPS.ME note and edit functionality on this
> list and elsewhere. I tried to get a real picture of how good/bad they
> are. I went to mmwatch.osmz.ru and assessed 73 edits/notes made
> between June 6th and 10th in Poland. Then I made a spreadsheet
> (percentages at the bottom):
> <...>
> No issues: 26% (only!)
> <...>
> Given this, I'm actually interested in how things look in places
> without any established local community. After all, MAPS.ME is popular
> all around the world.

  If there is no local community - nobody will be able to answer...

  But in general the only way is to check all c$@#.me edits and have
reverting tools on hand. After some time you would even notice that
there is no point in wasting even more time by writing to those
"editors" and will revert without asking. Also helps to not
promote/mention the name of the app and try to discourage people from
using it by explaining the problems or at least giving bad rating in
google play.

  And this is likely not going to change, because creators have an
illusion that it is "very good" to have thousands of people crapping
map data and wasting time of power-mappers if out of that one thousand
one single person actually becomes a mapper mapping with proper tools
(at least iD/Potlatch).

  It seems that quantity gets a huge priority against quality...

--
Tomas