[OSM-talk] Require on-the-ground verifiability of ref tag on highway

LapplandsCohan konrad at skeri.com
Thu Jun 22 23:08:32 UTC 2017

Mark Wagner wrote
> How do you propose to handle intermittent signage?  For example, US-2
> at Birch Street in Reardan
> (https://www.google.com/maps/@47.6695416,-117.8773181,18z) is
> unsigned.  However, one block away, at Aspen Street, it's signed as
> both "Broadway" and "US-2".  A literal interpretation of your
> suggestion would have you leave the Reardan Schools parking lot and
> "turn left on unnamed road".
>
> This is a common situation in small towns in the US: the locals all know
> what the highway through town is, so they don't bother signing
> minor intersections.  You could drive clear through Colton
> (https://www.google.com/maps/@46.5662602,-117.1226678,15.5z) and for
> several miles on either side without ever learning you're on US-195.

If the road is intermittent signed, and especially if it is signed as close
a a block away I'm not going to be picky about it. If my GPS says turn left
unto US-2 and I a block later see a sign that I'm on US-2 then great!

The problem I'm facing are the thousands of roads that have a ref entered in
OSM that is purely bureaucratical, are never signed with the stated ref
anywhere along the entire length of the road, only exists in the records of
the road administration, where the ref is not known by the locals who have
been living by the road for 50 years and the ref probably isn't known even
to the staff at the road administration unless they go down to the archive
and look it up.