[OSM-talk] Responding to vandalism

Rory McCann rory at technomancy.org
Fri Mar 17 14:03:42 UTC 2017

It's a shame that this happened, ideally it shouldn't and it should be
be fixed faster. But I don't think we should give up the "wiki" aspect.
Everyone, even new users, should be able to edit the "live" database.
Which yes, will have disadvantages.

But the advantage is that we get a free, global map. IMO new users being
able to see their changes on the map is very powerful, and makes them
more likely to continue to edit. I don't think we would have the map we
have today if people needed to be approved by those in power already. I
don't like the idea of a cabal having the ability to approve/deny
edits.