[OSM-talk] Responding to vandalism

Rory McCann rory at technomancy.org
Tue Mar 21 08:39:06 UTC 2017

On 20.03.2017 18:23, Mikel Maron wrote:
> For example (this may have been mentioned before on the thread) .. the
> OSM US community has set up a Slack channel with notifications of every
> new user editing. We monitor this channel, give a quick look at edits,
> and send welcome emails. That said, it's an overwhelming number of new
> users, and improvements which helped the community both focus on
> problematic new edits and scale welcomes would help a lot.

Just to chime in with another data point. In Ireland we have an IRC bot
that does similar for our #osm-ie channel. It notifies on every new
editing. We can also add users to a watch list, so it'll notify when
those users edit. It also says when notes are created.

It's quite helpful to keep track of things, but it can be easy to miss
things.

Rory