[OSM-talk] multipolygon source tags preferred method

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Mon Mar 27 16:02:15 UTC 2017

> Individual entities can have multiple source tags added at different
> times. It would be far harder to 'track' their sources if only add to
> changesets. When editing an object you can instantaneously see the sources
> if added to it.

frankly, the thing I am most interested when it comes to source tags is to
understand whether the thing was created from osm mappers or imported and
whether the mapper who edited something has been there or not (and if he's
been there, when). To a limited extend I'm also interested in seeing what
kind of aerial imagery has been used, but generally you can see the quality
by comparing with your favorite imagery.

The big problem with object source tags is that they apply properties which
belong to an editing action (the source of the edit, which is only part of
the sources for the object, the latter is usually made of several versions)
to an object. To give an example how this fails: if an object has "survey"
tagged as object source, how should later edits deal with this? Usually
they do not remove it, so that any later edit can either be based on
another survey or not, you will not see it with object source tags (but
you'll see it with changeset comments).

Cheers,
Martin