[OSM-talk] HDYC, login requirement and "privacy"

Mikel Maron mikel.maron at gmail.com
Fri May 5 17:24:58 UTC 2017

This topic started a bit backwards -- with an action taken by one project within the OSM ecosystem. We've covered a lot of perspectives on the topic of privacy in OSM, and possible actions and their implications. To turn this thread into some forward movement for us, a good course of action will be as follows. This does not clearly fit into one Working Group responsibility, so the OSMF Board can consider taking up the design of the process at least.
* We need to considerately research and assess the personal information (PI) risk. Including defining what is PI, and what various part of OSM might expose.
* LWG get informed legal advice on EU and other jurisdiction's PI laws* Consider the range of possible activities to address the risk
I reckon the most reasonable and effective starting activity will be to clearly define what OSM users need to know about contributing geodata to OSM, and the PI considerations they should keep in mind. As Frederik says, "raising awareness". For this to be effective, this means smarter design in the learning process and onboarding of new mappers.
And perhaps that's the ending point. Personally I can't see any way the removing contributor metadata from geodata would 1) really protect anyone 2) not hobble the project, which depends so much on user reputation to retain quality. In any case, let's kick that question down the road.
-MIkel * Mikel Maron * +14152835207 @mikel s:mikelmaron