[OSM-talk] OSM Note 1000000

Michał Brzozowski www.haxor at gmail.com
Fri May 26 10:30:24 UTC 2017

On Fri, May 26, 2017 at 12:17 PM, Dave F <davefoxfac63 at btinternet.com> wrote:
> I believe Notes were a reasonable idea, but poorly implemented with little
> control on how they're added or their content and limited methods of
> verification.

They're not that great because they lack any semantics, like: "needs
survey", "needs newer aerial imagery", "ongoing construction",
describing type of feature (road, building, POI) etc. (Hashtag-like
labels would do, as long as local communities would stick to the
standard).
There was also a suggestion by me and others of optional e-mail
notifications for anonymous note makers.
Actually, if there were any way to indicate those, we could show them
as StreetComplete quests or even as push notifications to willing map
users (just like Google does).

Then there's also that anonymous person who flooded the hell out of
China with not really useful notes in Russian. Maybe a (quite
liberally given out, but still giving any hope of blocking abusers)
API key for anonymous notes would be a solution?

Michał