[OSM-talk] Label language on the Default stylesheet

Oleksiy Muzalyev oleksiy.muzalyev at bluewin.ch
Wed Nov 1 13:28:12 UTC 2017

On 22.10.17 03:22, Matthijs Melissen wrote:
> On 24 September 2017 at 23:01, Matthijs Melissen
> <info at matthijsmelissen.nl> wrote:
>> I would like to ask for your opinion on the choice of language used in
>> the Default map on openstreetmap.org.
> Thank you all for your contributions to the discussion. It seems that
> the current choice, rendering local names only, is the preferred
> option for most of you. We'll therefore leave the rendering unchanged.
>
> -- Matthijs

Still, the OSM map remains unusable on the global scale. For instance, I
read an article about the new railroad North-South. I wanted to see it
on the OSM map but I could not even find Iran on the map.

There is a code for the Lingua Latina (Latin language) in the ISO 639-1,
which is used at the OSM. It is "la" [1]. It is an ancient language so
modern political controversies would not be reflected on it.

It is not necessary to show a name in the Latin alphabet for each town
or village. That is why only if the name:la=* in the Latin language
added, only then it would be rendered on the map. At least a country
name and major cities.

Irania [2] and Teheranum [3] would be good enough to me.

A would-be future vector map, probably, is not a a good solution, as it
does not use the principle of precalculation. The Latin language has
been used for centuries in science (including geography and
cartography). Its popularity is growing nowadays.

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ISO_639-1_codes

[2] https://la.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irania

[3] https://la.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teheranum

Best regards,

Oleksiy

P.S. There is no code for the ancient Greek in the ISO 639-1, and there
is no Wikipedia in ancient Greek.