[OSM-talk] weeklyOSM #382 2017-11-07-2017-11-13

Andy Townsend ajt1047 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 17 18:34:17 UTC 2017

On 17/11/2017 17:52, Mikel Maron wrote:
> Yes, doing this is hard work, and appreciate the job WeeklyOSM has to
> do. Point is, statements like "Yuri is as unreasonable as before and
> tries to ignore all the unwritten rules in OSM" is inappropriate, and
> there are many better ways to summarize the topic.

Well to be fair, the article as written didn't actually say that - it
said "is perceived by many as unreasonable".

Full disclosure - I'm an occasional contributor to the weekly OSM
newsletter.  I didn't add or edit that article (actually I didn't
contribute to any last week - you can usually tell the ones I've written
because they have more links and perhaps too many words in them), but
although perhaps a little over-concise I don't think you could argue
with "perceived by many as unreasonable" - just wade through the recent
archives of the talk mailing list again and weigh the arguments for and
against.  Also, there is such a thing as "fake balance".  Imagine you're
running an article about someone who's discussing ways to offset the
problems caused by the Mercator projection; you don't then need to also
quote someone from the Flat Earth Society for the sake of impartiality.

Secondly - and this is a point that applies to many other areas of OSM
too - there seem far more people willing to contribute their
copy-editing skills here on a mailing list than actually helping put
_next_ week's newsletter together.  It's not a new phenomenon - a short
while ago WeeklyOSM had a complaint from an OSM-centric organisation
(let's call it "X") that "we never report on what's happening with X".
It was politely suggested to the complainer that perhaps they ought to
volunteer themselves; then they could submit all the articles they
like.  It went very quiet after that.

It's a similar situation with technical discussions elsewhere ("you
ought to render X like Y", "you ought to change how the osm.org website
works so I don't have to build infrastructure for $project", "Nominatim
ought to support my $odd_non_address_search_example").

Although there's always room for improvement, much of what's around OSM
now has a surprisingly low bar for entry, whether it's creating a map
based on OSM data that shows $favourite_but_quite_rare_tag, or answering
questions on the help site or forum, or as here, volunteering to submit
and review a few news articles a week.

Best Regards,
Andy