[OSM-talk] Effecting change in OpenStreetMap

Michał Brzozowski www.haxor at gmail.com
Tue Nov 21 17:48:15 UTC 2017

I think that developers of JOSM are another noteworthy exception to add
along with openstreetmap-carto. Even if they break something, they are
quick to respond, and it seems that there's always some work going on.

But yes, I do share your feelings to a degree as well. People from many
core OSM projects seem they would like to continue status quo indefinitely..

The main project that I think is one of the most important, but at the same
time not getting enough attention is openstreetmap-website. There's so much
that could be done in order to facilitate mapper communication and improve
usability. I *could* learn Ruby to implement some incremental improvements,
but I would have to lose a few months on it and it's not a transferable
skill for me (I'm not a web developer, or even a programmer, though I use
Bash, Python and Tcl.). There are many quite sensible improvements that
haven't been addresed for a long time.

I have seen a similar phenomenon in Polish OSM community. There have been a
few tools and data analyses/visualisations made by the "old guard" i.e.
people who were active leaders in our community 7 or so years ago, who now
have work and family wasting their time. But they did not take care to
propagate the knowledge. Often it's a challenge to get sources form them to
build it on your own.

At the end of the day there's much that could be done to improve OSM if one
took a holistic approach, having multiple projects working on some common
goals, but with maintainers caring mostly about their turf and OSMF (by
design) being concerned mostly with funding, licensing and running *WGs
this is not happening.

Michał