[OSM-talk] Effecting change in OpenStreetMap

joost schouppe joost.schouppe at gmail.com
Thu Nov 23 14:14:34 UTC 2017

With great power comes great responsibility. When your first minor
contributions are met with blunt reactions (however justified), then they
are probably going to be your last. Saying things like "we're not complete
idiots" or "it would be crazy to do this" is not the way to encourage
people to grow. It is encouraging them to shut the hell up and let the
experts do their work. I know this is hard to do after years of hearing bad
or naive ideas, especially if the people making the suggestions can be
rather agressive too. Caring about the project is not about the software
first, it is about the wetware above anyting else. Like I said in the other
thread, we do need people who can handle criticism (e.g. I didn't
understand some of the hurt reactions after a recent thread about an import
tool for ID), but it shouldn't be "survival of the thickest skin".