[OSM-talk] How to show school icons ?

Andy Townsend ajt1047 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 24 12:36:40 UTC 2017

On 24/11/2017 12:23, Daniel Koć wrote:
> W dniu 24.11.2017 o 08:57, David SAUVAGE pisze:
>> What would be the process to change this situation in order for school
>> icons to be displayed on osm map with the same priority of a library ?
>
> Let me quote what I've just wrote in the osm-carto issue tracker:
>
> "We had a PR which was almost ready, but we were unable to decide how
> to deal with label scaling, because we do this for schools and the
> icon is not to be scaled. There are also other similar objects (like
> hospitals etc), which use the icon, but don't use text scaling, so
> that would be inconsistent.
>
> So the most important thing is to find a rule for all such objects. If
> we have it, rendering education icons could be made quite easily."

As an aside, if the discussion (which is now at
https://github.com/gravitystorm/openstreetmap-carto/issues/120 ) doesn't
work out, it may also be possible to create your own map tiles based on
a style that you create.  If you want to create the same sort of map
tiles that you can see at OpenStreetMap.org you can follow instructions
at https://switch2osm.org/manually-building-a-tile-server-16-04-2-lts/
.  There are other options too (see
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Rendering for some of those). If
you're trying to follow instructions such as those and get stuck you
could try asking on IRC (see https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/IRC ) -
the #osm and #osm-dev channels are English-language ones, but there will
be people available to help there, and there's also #osm-fr in French
where I'm sure people will be able to help too.

Best Regards,

Andy