[OSM-talk] Planned rendering changes of protected areas

Daniel Koć daniel at xn--ko-wla.pl
Thu Nov 30 13:46:34 UTC 2017

Hi,

I'm thinking about changes in rendering of protected areas on osm-carto
and I wanted to give community a hint, because it's a popular kind of
objects. There is a fresh discussion about it from this comment on:

https://github.com/gravitystorm/openstreetmap-carto/issues/603#issuecomment-347879897

In short:

1. Currently leisure=nature_reserve (old scheme) and boundary=* (new
scheme) are frequently tagged in parallel, and it looks like the old
scheme is used as a hack just to make it visible on default map.

2. The old scheme is too generic and it causes visual clutter, because
all of the protected areas are displayed at once.

3. New scheme has many classes defined, which would allow us to fine
tune the rendering (different zoom levels and only some of them).

4. The new scheme looks like more general than the old one, so it's all
that's we really need.

Therefore I think rendering of leisure=nature_reserve should be dropped
on osm-carto, so boundary=* would take over. In this case the areas
should be tagged with a new scheme to be visible there. That might lead
to deprecation of leisure=nature_reserve in the future.

--
"My method is uncertain/ It's a mess but it's working" [F. Apple]