[OSM-talk] Planned rendering changes of protected areas

Christoph Hormann osm at imagico.de
Thu Nov 30 16:38:34 UTC 2017

On Thursday 30 November 2017, Daniel Koc4‡ wrote:

> I'm thinking about changes in rendering of protected areas on
> osm-carto and I wanted to give community a hint, because it's a
> popular kind of objects.

I have no definitive opinion on the tagging question but i consider your
approach here highly questionable.  More details on that in the
following.

> 1. Currently leisure=nature_reserve (old scheme) and boundary=* (new
> scheme) are frequently tagged in parallel, and it looks like the old
> scheme is used as a hack just to make it visible on default map.

Presenting leisure=nature_reserve as an 'old scheme' and 'boundary=*' as
a 'new scheme' is a serious mischaracterization.  The tags
leisure=nature_reserve, boundary=protected_area and
boundary=national_park all started being used around the same time.
There is no old and new here.

There are 62k uses of boundary=protected_area and 77k of
leisure=nature_reserve and 31k of the combination - which does not
really support your idea that the latter is used just as a hack.

> 2. The old scheme is too generic and it causes visual clutter,
> because all of the protected areas are displayed at once.

That is frankly just nonsense.  If rendering (or not rendering) features
with leisure=nature_reserve, boundary=protected_area or
boundary=national_park causes visual clutter in a map depends on if and
how you render these features.  That is the responsibility of you as a
map designer.  Blaming a tagging scheme for not being able to do that
without visual clutter is a bit strange.

> 3. New scheme has many classes defined, which would allow us to fine
> tune the rendering (different zoom levels and only some of them).

Have you looked at if these classes are actually used consistently at
the moment?  A tagging scheme with ~25 numerical codes as classes with
fairly brief and abstract descriptions is not usually destined for
success in OSM.

> 4. The new scheme looks like more general than the old one, so it's
> all that's we really need.

Which is just another way of saying boundary=protected_area is much less
meaningful than leisure=nature_reserve since the latter at least
specifies it is nature protection while the former does not.

You are also contradicting yourself here - in 2. you say "the old scheme
is too generic" and here you say "the new scheme looks like more
general" - which is it?

On a general note: Please do not mix tagging discussions and rendering
discussions - that is a recipe for desaster.  If rendering
considerations lead you to realize tagging issues and you want to
discuss those that is fine but then drop arguing for certain tagging
ideas based on your perceived needs for rendering.  Tagging decisions
should be based on how mappers can best document their knowledge about
the geography.  Not on what some developers find convenient for
rendering.

--
Christoph Hormann
http://www.imagico.de/