[OSM-talk] Misrepresentation of OSM by HOT?

Christoph Hormann osm at imagico.de
Mon Oct 23 13:57:40 UTC 2017

On Monday 23 October 2017, Simon Poole wrote:
> I suspect Christophs issue is more that HOT seems to be claiming
> ownership of "OpenStreetMap collaborative mapping".

Yes, this is one of my points.  The other is that it fails to connect
the visitor to collaboration and communication within the OSM
community.  The visitor is invited into what is being presented
as "OpenStreetMap collaborative mapping" but this whole concept as it
is being presented on that site seems to be carefully segregated from
the rest of the OSM community with its communication channels, wiki,
local communities etc.

No one can forbid HOT to do that but if they do so they IMO should not
present this under the name OpenStreetMap as "OpenStreetMap
collaborative mapping" in general or even as pars pro toto.

Or they could rework the site to properly present OpenStreetMap and HOT
and how they relate to the visitor.  learnosm.org (which i think is
also mainly built by HOT) shows this is possible to do.

--
Christoph Hormann
http://www.imagico.de/