[OSM-talk] Woods vs Forests

Oleksiy Muzalyev oleksiy.muzalyev at bluewin.ch
Fri Oct 27 05:51:07 UTC 2017

On 27.10.17 00:49, Dave F wrote:
> [...]
> I think you'd be hard pressed to find any area of trees which hasn't
> been managed in one way or another by humans; especially in the
> Western world. [...]

There is a theory nowadays that woods should be left alone to natural
cycles which may last hundreds of years. At least that a forest is not a
park where everything should be cleaned up and tidy. Dead wood in a
forest is the food for numerous insects. These insects are the basis of
a biodiversity pyramid. Here is some information on it:
http://blogs.helsinki.fi/deadwoodmeeting/files/2016/02/Barbalat_dead-wood-insects_web.pdf

Best regards,

O.