[OSM-talk] a sample panoramic aerial image for 3D mapping made with the new DJI Spark quad-copter

Oleksiy Muzalyev oleksiy.muzalyev at bluewin.ch
Sun Sep 3 13:06:31 UTC 2017

On 03.09.17 01:02, Warin wrote:
> On 03-Sep-17 12:53 AM, Andy Mabbett wrote:
>> On 1 September 2017 at 14:37, Oleksiy Muzalyev
>> <oleksiy.muzalyev at bluewin.ch> wrote:
>>
>>> I received today my new DJI Spark quad-copter and made a panoramic
>>> aerial
>>> image with it:
>> Impressive pic.
>>
>> Curious about the drone, I found this review:
>>
>>      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_eYGih4FI8c
>>
>> and now I want one!
>>

> While I may want one, I also know there are legal restrains on it use.
> These are local.
>
> Suggest you check for local regulations for there use, and if you want
> to travel with one then the regulations there too.
>
> If your going to Egypt .. don't take a drone as they are illegal will
> be confiscated at the boarder and some have been detained for some
> time due to having one.
>
> Having read the regulations .. I'm not getting one. Too restrictive
> and subjective observations may have trouble develop.

I would advise to start by attending a training course and getting the
RPAS pilot certificate. It is not only local airspace regulations. At a
training course we studied also meteorology, flight panning, privacy
principles, wild life protection, fundamental piloting skills, LiPo
battery safety & fire protection, hardware check lists, insurance
issues, etc.

What is interesting about Spark is that some regulations are not
applicable for it. For example, in the local regulations [1] there is
the following rule:

"Anyone who operates a drone or model aircraft with a weight of more
than 500 grams is required to take out liability insurance cover in the
amount of at least 1 million Swiss francs to cover any damages that may
be caused."

The DJI Phantom is 1.2 kg, DJI Mavic is 730 grams, - the insurance is
obligatory, but the Spark weighs only 300 grams, so it is optional.

[1]
https://www.bazl.admin.ch/bazl/en/home/good-to-know/drones-and-aircraft-models/allgemeine-fragen-zu-drohnen.html#accordion1504443410103

Best regards,

Oleksiy