[OSM-talk] OSM user survey still open - more women needed

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Wed Sep 6 15:24:15 UTC 2017

Hi,

On 09/06/17 16:51, navi wrote:
> But what does that change?

Well if nothing else, solid research could help base further discussions
on facts instead of hand-wavy assumptions. All we currently say is "we
need more women in OSM because somehow we're sure they would be mapping
other things, or map the same things differently, and surely that would
be a good thing if we want to make a map that serves everyone's needs".
There's a lot of vagueness in there and it would be good to know,
instead of just guess.

There's many other areas in OSM where diversity discussions are based on
hearsay, assumptions, or feelings, rather than solid work and analysis.

Most people in OSM lean towards being "technical persons". They are much
easier convinced by an argument based in research and facts than by one
based in ethical reasoning.

I can only applaud any attempt to give future discussions a solid
foundation through research.

Bye
Frederik