[OSM-talk] OSM user survey still open - more women needed

john whelan jwhelan0112 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 6 16:00:33 UTC 2017

Building on Frederick's comments we could do with something fairly solid.

I would suggest Stats Canada have a lot of experience and and trusted.  I
hate to say it but there are countries such as the US where I wouldn't
believe them if they told me my personal data would not be shared with
other government agencies. Commercial survey companies I don't think are
quite so secure as stats.  They have a specific law that only applies to
Stats Canada employees about keeping data confidential.

The upcoming HOT summit in Ottawa in less than two weeks time has Stats
taking part and they attended the SOTM in Brussels last year.

The problem would be funding.  Since there are a number of researchers they
might be tapped for funding but CIDA or even Stats themselves might be
forthcoming if it could be treated as a project to improve Stats in African
and other countries.  Other sources might be the World bank and some of the
NGOs.  Thinking of which we should survey the NGOs, I note UNICEF has
couple of HOT projects that are not moving very quickly but they have a lot
of volunteers.  Are they aware that a number of NGOs use their own
volunteers to map?

I do have concerns at the moment that mappers have a wide range of first
languages so when we survey them we will tend to select those who speak
English and probably are better educated than the average mapper in some
countries. This is particularly relevant to Zoe's research where non
English speaking female mappers may well be mapping POI's such as pink park
benches, schools etc. but not responding to requests to complete survey in
English.

Cheerio John