[OSM-talk] Draft Trademark Policy

Stephan Knauss osm at stephans-server.de
Mon Sep 18 07:12:56 UTC 2017

Hello Simon,

On 08.09.2017 20:02, Simon Poole wrote:
> Further we've added a clarification to the FAQ wrt use of remixes in
> domain names and that use of the OpenStreetMap mark soley for
> attribution does not require a trademark notice.

Most of us are not that fluent with trademark law, nor I am.
Could you please give some hints why "osm" as part of domain names
should conflict with our registered OpenStreetMap marks?

Like "fosm".

I tried to figure it out, but OSM does not seem to be a registered mark
of the OpenStreetMap Foundation:
https://euipo.europa.eu/eSearch/#details/owners/574987

There are two marks of OSM registered:
https://euipo.europa.eu/eSearch/#advanced/trademarks/1/50/n1=MarkVerbalElementText&v1=OSM&o1=AND&c1=IS&sf=ApplicationNumber&so=asc

One in class 9, which does not seem to apply for out context and one
registered for class 8 and 35 which could with some fantasy conflict.

Again: I fully understand why OpenThingMap or OpenStreetSomething is
bad. Or why the domain I had a wile ago for training stuff,
"openstreetmap.academy" is problematic.

But why is OSM as the abbreviation considered to be a problem?
If we would want to protect it, shouldn't we register a trademark for it?

We in this context is the OSMF.

Stephan