[OSM-talk] Adding wikidata tags to the remaining objects with only wikipedia tag

Simon Poole simon at poole.ch
Wed Sep 20 12:31:55 UTC 2017

You raise an important point.

I've commented before, years back in the mean time, on the push to move
information out of OSM in to a third party product over which have no
control and which, if we are not careful, could impact the value of what
we in OSM are doing and distributing (just see MBs use of wikidata in
lieu of OSM place names). It would further be very naive to not see the
competitive angle of what is happening here.

On the other hand lots of the wikidata related additions would seem to
be fairly neutral (WD references additionally to WP links and so on).

Simon