[OSM-talk] Adding wikidata tags to the remaining objects with only wikipedia tag

Tobias Knerr osm at tobias-knerr.de
Wed Sep 20 16:14:48 UTC 2017

On 20.09.2017 17:02, Christoph Hormann wrote:
> It is best to regard the wikidata and wikipedia tags in OSM as 'related
> features' rather than identical objects.

We shouldn't dilute the definition of the key because some incorrect
links exist in the database. If there's no 1:1 relationship between OSM
element and Wikidata item, and this cannot be fixed by editing Wikidata,
then no wikidata tag should be added.

> These provide useful sources
> to research additional information (in particular wikipedia articles
> often link to additional sources)

Sure, but the wikidata key is for "the Wikidata item about the feature",
not any related content that may be interesting.