[OSM-talk] Adding wikidata tags to the remaining objects with only wikipedia tag

Yuri Astrakhan yuriastrakhan at gmail.com
Wed Sep 20 21:19:29 UTC 2017

> people fixing WD won’t necessarily check if their fixes work well with
> OSM. Maybe we should include versions in our WD tags?
> I’ve seen OSM objects linked from WD, are there people monitoring changes
> to linked objects?

Yes, that's what the Wikidata+OSM service is for. It allows community to
create queries that verify various aspects of OSM objects as related to
Wikidata Objects. For example, if Wikidata object changes its "instance-of"
to disambig, the query would immediatelly flag corresponding OSM object as
having a problematic wiki link.

> I think it’s better to add the WD links slowly, verifying on a one by one
> basis that the objects describe the same thing. And having this done for
> some time I can tell that quite often WD items are very basic and defined
> besides their name only by the content of their WP article links, which in
> different languages not always describe the same thing/s.
> If you look into the things there’s a lot to fix in both projects, adding
> WD tags automatically in one go might help less than people doing it
> carefully and fixing the problems on the way.
>
> iD editor has been doing exactly that for substantial time.  Whenever user
adds a wikipedia tag, corresponding Wikidata tag is added automatically. I
seriously doubt there are any (or any at all) people who check that
wikidata ID is correct by hand.  Yet the number of errors that were caught
by cross-linking the data is very significant.