[OSM-talk] Label language on the Default stylesheet

Oleksiy Muzalyev oleksiy.muzalyev at bluewin.ch
Mon Sep 25 10:39:26 UTC 2017

I talked at a conference to a man from UK who, as I understood,
participates in the hardware work on the OSM servers. I was told that
multiple layers require too much additional work to be handled by
volunteers and also additional hardware&software. That it is not
feasible with the current state of technology.

The intent is not to replace the titles in Japanese, but to add
additional labels in smaller font in the Latin alphabet. The Latin
language itself has been for centuries the language of science, and it
remains the language of scientific classification. For example, Isaac
Newton wrote his breakthrough books in Latin.

So why not using it for geographical classification too? As soon as
people see that the Latin version appears on the map as an additional
label, they will start adding tags in this language. And there will be
no doubts that a preference is given to a certain country or group of
countries.

Best regards,
Oleksiy