[OSM-talk] Label language on the Default stylesheet

Daniel Koć daniel at xn--ko-wla.pl
Mon Sep 25 17:56:27 UTC 2017

W dniu 25.09.2017 o 13:15, Maarten Deen pisze:
> Of course this is impractical in the UI in the current way of
> selecting layers (where each layer has its own check box to enable
> it), I was more thinking in the line of having a dropdown box for all
> language overlays. No idea if this is currently possible in openlayers.

More basic solution would be to use language settings from the user
account preferences.

I've done simple list of possible solutions of name labels problem:

https://github.com/gravitystorm/openstreetmap-carto/issues/803#issuecomment-330526353

They can be rendering related or deployment related. Both have its
merits, but they can be used in parallel too.

1. Vector based solution can be full, but that's long ahead of us, yet
in a medium term a vector names overlay should be affordable. We already
use overlays, so the problem would be to prepare name-only vector tiles
and deploy a code to show them on OSM website. I was thinking that maybe
some less loaded server could be used to generate such tiles.

2. But raster rendering can be improved too. I think there's a sliding
scale between small objects (probably only local names), big objects (in
general no local names) and medium scale (mix of local and other
languages). For the biggest objects (continents, oceans, seas) I've come
to the conclusion that a set of 6 official UN languages might be good,
small objects translations are probably fake (=not possible to verify)
anyway, so we could just try to improve medium scale somehow (countries,
capitals, lakes). I would not think of Latina or Esperanto, because
English is used by much more people, if we talk about latin script. I
also don't know what to do with users of other scripts which are not
familiar with latin.

Overall I think vector name labels overlay is the most interesting
solution for now, apart from osm-carto tuning. What do you think about
it, would anyone try to do this as a pilot probably? I would be happy to
help.

--
"Probably it's an eternal problem - too many chiefs, too few Indians" [O. Muzalyev]