[OSM-talk] Label language on the Default stylesheet

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Mon Sep 25 11:12:47 UTC 2017

On 25-Sep-17 07:49 PM, Christoph Hormann wrote:
> On Monday 25 September 2017, Frederik Ramm wrote:
>> Oh, in case I wasn't clear - what I said above was not with irony;
>> indeed, for my personal use, I want a map that shows me names I can
>> read. Which, I assume, everyone does.
> Yes, of course - we need to clearly differentiate between 'i want a map
> that...' and 'i want the standard OSM map to...'.
>
> I also do need a map with names i can read everywhere on earth in many
> cases but as you already said this need is mostly quite well served by
> both commercial and non-commercial styles from local communities (like
> the German OSM style).
>
>> I share your "diversity" viewpoint, although one must also see that
>> by only displaying the "name", some people in regions with non-latin
>> script but strong western cultural influence could feel forced to
>> include a Latin rendering of the name in their "name" tags or even
>> use Latin renderings altogether for "name". A future option of
>> "display the name you like" will also free these mappers to map the
>> correct local names.
> Yes, the problem that mappers need to decide on a single name for 'the
> local name' is definitely an issue, in particular in regions that are
> largely multilingual (i.e. where several language have a strong base
> and there is no clear primary language) but also if locals specifically
> want to serve outside interests.  The way this is currently often
> solved by having several names in the name tag is not satisfying.

Case: Papua New Guinea

Number of Local Languages: 800

Official Language: English

The 'local name' may well not match the 'English language' name - leading to OSMose error indications.
Of course the local languages overlap area wise, things change names depending on who you might talk to and where...

So at the moment I'm inclined to tag thus;

name and name:en as the same ... not nice but officially that is what it is.
BUT use loc_name as the local language name ...
The boundary between 2 languages is fuzzy and changes with time as villages move from time to time too.

There is very high probability that the local language has no official abbreviated code like en, ru etc. making that less than helpful.