[OSM-talk] Fixing wiki* -> brand:wiki*

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Wed Sep 27 13:59:34 UTC 2017

Hi,

On 27.09.2017 15:37, Simon Poole wrote:
> My take is that it adds a nearly impossible to maintain (consider your
> own Woolworth's example), non-speaking, foreign key

We generally discourage foreign keys (that are only usable together with
a different data set and that are not signposted locally).

When Wikidata keys were first added to OSM, I thought this was something
limited to place names of a certain importance and I didn't object.

Seeing that this now leads to the automatic assumption that Wikidata IDs
are practically admissible *everywhere* where Wikidata has defined an
ID, I am having second thoughts about the whole issue.

In theory, almost everything we map could be expressed by a Wikidata ID.
If welcoming a Wikidata link on a city place node means that by
extension I also have to welcome "amenity:wikidata=Q123456" on something
that is, say, an ice cream parlour because Q123456 is the generic
Wikidata category for ice cream parlours, then I think I'd rather not
have any Wikidata links in OSM at all.

Bye
Frederik