[OSM-talk] Overlapping brands (was "Fixing wiki* -> brand:wiki*")

Andy Townsend ajt1047 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 27 15:57:50 UTC 2017

On 27/09/2017 15:35, John F. Eldredge wrote:
> The spatial information will tell you where each business location is;
> it is not sufficient to tell you whether these are multiple locations
> of the same brand, or two unrelated brands that share the same name
> and category of business.

Can anyone think of an example where two unrelated brands share the same
name and category of business in the same geographical area?

The nearest I can think of in the UK is "Wilco Motorsave" and "Wilko"
(some overlap of what they sell, but different spelling, and typically a
different "shop" tag in OSM).  In Germany both Aldi Nord and Aldi Sud
operate, but these tend to be tagged in OSM as operator rather than
brand, and the only wikidata example I can find is
https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/25716765 (via
http://overpass-turbo.eu/s/s10 , http://overpass-turbo.eu/s/s0Z didn't
return anything).

Best Regards,