[OSM-talk] Overlapping brands (was "Fixing wiki* -> brand:wiki*")

Marc Gemis marc.gemis at gmail.com
Wed Sep 27 18:47:22 UTC 2017

> Can anyone think of an example where two unrelated brands share the same
> name and category of business in the same geographical area?

Is "the same geographical area" relevant ? Why should a data consumer
use a separate datebase to identify the brand of an item ?

Suppose I want to find all "Wendy's". Why do I need to know that the
one in The Netherlands does not  belong to the brand found in the US ?
[1] Shouldn't this be part of the OSM data in some way ?

regards

[1] https://www.businessinsider.nl/een-zeeuw-noemde-zn-snackbar-wendys-naar-zn-dochter-en-weerstaat-de-gelijknamige-amerikaanse-fastfoodgigant/