[OSM-talk] Adding wikidata tags to the remaining objects with only wikipedia tag

Imre Samu pella.samu at gmail.com
Wed Sep 27 22:00:11 UTC 2017

> I hope everyone realizes that there are Wikidata items for which there
> is no Wikipedia article.
> So you cannot always find it via Wikipedia  tags.
>  And at least JOSM shows a human readable name of a Wikidata item
> besides the Q-number. I think iD does this as well.
> m. (who manually adds Wikidata references for Flemish churches after
creating the Wikidata items).

imho:
probably you have a local and domain knowledge on the topic of "Flemish
churches"
but for me:  wikidata without wikipedia page - is  extremely suspicious

because:

#1.  Sometimes the " nearby" search for geolocated articles/wikidataids is
not enough
for example:
* at least ~28000 churches exist in the wikidata without coordinates:
http://tinyurl.com/y8nyk9zw

And probably we will also find wikidata cities without coordinates.

#2. And we should aware of the current "Parallel geo worlds" problem in the
wikidata[1]
for example:
Arad ( major City in Romania ) has 3 wikidata, and we should prefer id with
wikipedia pages.
* https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Q173591 ( with wikipedia pages, linked to
OSM )
* https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Q31886684 (  created by Cebuano import [1]
   ~1 month ago) * https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Q16898082

[1] wikidata cebuano import problem:
* https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Wikidata:Project_chat/Archive/
2017/08#Dealing_with_our_second_planet * https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/
Wikidata:Project_chat/Archive/2017/08#Nonsense_imported_from_Geonames

Imre