[OSM-talk] Help me build an OSM Community Index

Andy Townsend ajt1047 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 2 16:45:00 UTC 2018

On 31/03/18 13:25, Bryan Housel wrote:
> I’ve started building an index of OSM community resources here:
> https://github.com/osmlab/osm-community-index
>
> "Resources" can be links to forums, meetups, Slack groups, Facebook
> groups, mailing lists, and so on. Anything that mappers, especially
> beginners, might find interesting or helpful.

I think that's an excellent idea - quite often I'd like to recommend
something to a mapper in a country that I'm not familiar with, and it
can be difficult to do that if you're unfamiliar with the local
community (and especially if they're using non-open communication
channels that can be less easy to "just drop in on").

However I'm a bit confused about what sort of contributions you want -
https://github.com/osmlab/osm-community-index/issues/new loads a
template that seems to be looking for something in Markdown format (one
per resource) with a geojson file (I think - it's really not clear).
I'd be happy to provide information that you could use to create the
content you want, but I've no idea how to provide what the site seems to
be asking for (and I suspect I won't be alone in that).

For example, for GB I'd suggest:

o That international resources such as the help site and the wiki are
likely to be the first best point of contact

o That the most commonly used local resource is probably the talk-gb
mailing list https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/talk-gb (but note
that the part of the UK that is on the island of Ireland is best served
by https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/talk-ie), and there's also
regional lists.

o That there's usually someone able to respond to "ad hoc" questions in
#osm-gb on IRC (but I'd link to that via http://wiki.osm.org/wiki/IRC as
other international channels may be relevant too).

o There are regular meetups in at least London
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/London#Upcoming_Events , Scotland,
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Edinburgh#Social_Events , West
Midlands https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Mappa_Mercia#Meetings, and
East Midlands https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Nottingham/Pub_Meetup .

o There's a "loomio" site (accessible from
https://osmuk.org/pinned/join-the-conversation/) associated with the
OSMF chapter in the UK https://osmuk.org/ , although that is very low
volume right now (though that may change, of course).

There are also I'm sure a bunch of twitter accounts associated with
individuals and groups - but I'd hesitate to try and sort the wheat from
the chaff there.  I'm sure I'll have missed stuff too (and another
person's list of resources might differ from my subjective list.

Is that sort of information useful?

Best Regards,

Andy