[OSM-talk] Help me build an OSM Community Index

Bryan Housel bryan at 7thposition.com
Tue Apr 3 21:13:46 UTC 2018

Thanks for the feedback Andy!
The community index project will surely evolve as we learn what kinds of things are helpful for both end users and community organizers.  The goal is for users who are just getting started with editing to realize that they are part of something larger.

This represents a deliberate shift in focus from self-centered language we currently use in iD “Share your edit on Facebook/Twitter” to more community-centric language like “There are people around where you edited that care about what you are doing - say hi on Reddit or stop by this month's Meetup”.  It would not surprise me if the locations of OSM with the highest quality are also the parts of OSM with the strongest community and best attended meetups.

One thing I can do right now to make the osm-community-index project less confusing is to say exactly what we are currently collecting.  This list has grown a few times in the last week, and I need to move it up front as the first thing people see.

type - (required) Type of community resource. The following types are supported:
"discourse"
"facebook"
"forum" - For example, on forum.openstreetmap.org
"group" - Generic catchall for anything with a url (such as a local OSM chapter page)
"irc" - url should be a clickable web join link, server details can go in description
"mailinglist" - url should be a link to the listinfo page, e.g. https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/talk-us
"meetup"
"reddit"
"slack" - url should link to the Slack itself, and signupUrl can link to an inviter service (see example above)
"telegram"
"twitter"

So you asked how you can help!  Please collect any of the above things and add them to GitHub tickets 🙏
In your email you mentioned some osm wiki pages that contain a lot of meetup links - I’d do those first...

Thanks, Bryan