[OSM-talk] Help me build an OSM Community Index

Clifford Snow clifford at snowandsnow.us
Wed Apr 4 15:58:36 UTC 2018

Paul,
For this application having a well defined region isn't a big issue. To me
it's more of "if you are interested, here is a  nearby OSM group(s)." I
think as we learn how users react to the feature, we can find ways to
improve it.  To that end, I gave Metro Vancouver as an area to github
issue. It probably should extend out more than just the metro relation but
I felt it was a good start.

Clifford

On Wed, Apr 4, 2018 at 2:50 AM, Paul Norman <penorman at mac.com> wrote:

> On 3/31/2018 5:25 AM, Bryan Housel wrote:
>
>> a `.geojson` file to describe where the region where it is active.
>>  (multiple resources can share a .geojson file)
>>

> I'm having trouble figuring out what a sensible region is for the meetups
> in Vancouver and the Pacific Northwest.
>
> Our meetups are along the coast, but I don't believe there are any other
> meetups for a few hundred km as you go inland. Closer to home, I'd consider
> Chilliwack part of our region in many ways, but it's 100km from there to
> our normal meeting place. This makes it too far to suggest, because it's a
> 90+ minute drive. Where would I cut it off?
>
> Going up and down the coast, we have a different problem. Vancouver,
> South-Central Salish Sea, and Seattle all share a meetup organization, and
> have overlap in members. The boundaries here are fuzzy.

@osm_seattle
osm_seattle.snowandsnow.us
OpenStreetMap: Maps with a human touch