[OSM-talk] today's tragic helicopter accident in Bavaria

Oleksiy Muzalyev oleksiy.muzalyev at bluewin.ch
Wed Apr 11 11:14:21 UTC 2018

 From my modest RPAS pilot experience, I can tell that during a flight
planning, while using different sources: maps, satellite images, GPS
traces, Wikimedia images, videos, etc. I kind of inadvertently build in
my head a 3D model of an area, paying attention to distinctive
landmarks, and especially to a point of landing.

In this particular case, I could map the control tower also only after I
saw videos, aerial and ground photos, satellite images of the
Haßfurt-Schweinfurt airport. After the tower, a major landmark, is on
the map, here it is, I have got the 3D model.

Human brain works in 2D, that is why it takes years and years to train a
good pilot. The professional term for a flight is: jump. Aircraft does
not fly like a bird, it has got limitations of a jump (END - endurance,
EET - estimated elapse time, ALT - alternate aerodrome, flight plan,
etc.). A pilot error is not always caused by high spirits or illness,
sometimes it is a result of objective limitations of human physiology.
That is why any flight has got a flight planning phase.

By the way, if a smartphone battery has drained, if "Find My Phone"
can’t locate the device, the last known location is displayed on a map.

Best regards,
Oleksiy