[OSM-talk] Notes sorted by date/user/so on

ENT8R info.ent8r at gmail.com
Mon Apr 16 12:17:29 UTC 2018

Hi,

I created some kind of QA tool for reviewing notes a few months ago. Originally I created it for searching notes created by the Android application „StreetComplete“ (https://github.com/westnordost/StreetComplete) (the notes can also be fixed very easily in the most cases).
You can find the source code on Github: https://github.com/ENT8R/NotesReview
but there is also a website for actually using the tool: https://ent8r.github.io/NotesReview/

If you want to get e.g. the last 100 notes created by StreetComplete you can go to https://ent8r.github.io/NotesReview/?query=StreetComplete&limit=100&start=true and you will see all notes on a map. But you can also get the notes as a list with https://ent8r.github.io/NotesReview/expert/?query=StreetComplete&limit=100 (the notes are sorted by their id by default which means that newer notes are shown first)

I think that this tool can be extended easily to add some more functionality like sorting the notes in an ascending order (which might be useful for you as you would like to solve old notes first…)
If you have any suggestions or feature requests, feel free to open a new issue on Github: https://github.com/ENT8R/NotesReview/issues

I hope I could help you!

ENT8R

Hi,

I just went through some notes all around the world (or, at least northern Africa and southern Europe, but even huge cities like central New York have these) and found lots of easily closable notes. For example two notes stating that a football stadium does indeed have the name it was tagged with (one two years old, one two weeks old), 3-4 year anonymous notes stating "no left turn" (app created not very trustworthy notes), several reviews of restaurants, two notes about a local supermarket that was tagged three times and so on. Obviously these are tagged in areas that either lack active mappers or lack active mappers who look at or even know of the existence of notes. More than once I have come across notes that have been resolved since they were created but have not been closed (or in some cases "fixed, do you want me to fix anything else", unresolved for two years).

Personally I look at all notes that are opened in Sweden, and there are a lot of them that are closed almost immediately because they are used in the wrong way. There are a lot of easily closable notes out there that we could get rid of to get the notes that actually contain usable information easier to find. In my experience almost bigger town/city contains lots of notes that are either 1) about something that is already tagged 2) a review or opinion 3) easily fixable by adding or removing a tag 4) spam.

Therefore I wonder, is it possible to get notes sorted by date in some way? That would make it easier to find those old notes that have been lying around forever either waiting for a fix that will never come, have been fixed long ago or contain outdated or bogus information. It would also be nice to easily separate anonymous from logged in users. Maybe at least this is something that someone has thought of creating a QA tool for?

Regards Andreas