[OSM-talk] GDPR introduction

Ed Loach edloach at gmail.com
Tue Apr 17 15:01:22 UTC 2018

Andrew asked:

> Yes that does help clarify my concerns too. I still wonder if someone
> outside the EU can go ahead and publish the full metadata included
> OSM database under the ODBL outside the OSMF, or in the worst case
> local communities outside the EU can still publish their regional extracts
> with metadata publicly.

I am not a lawyer, but a quick Google search suggests the answer is no, as the legislation applies based on the data subject being in the EU, not the processor - see for example "Why non-EU companies should care" in
https://econsultancy.com/blog/69282-how-should-non-eu-businesses-prepare-for-the-gdpr

Ed